Healthy Stuffed Mushroom
Makes: 10 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
- 10 cups bread, cubed
- 3 cups ALMOND, OR ANY NUTS milk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 turkey liver or 2 chicken livers, diced
- 3 tablespoons COCONUT OIL.
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 SWEET POTATOES diced
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 pounds mushrooms or mixed wild mushrooms, stemmed, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with oil.
- Place bread in a large bowl and toss with milk. Let stand, tossing or stirring occasionally, until saturated.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and coconut oil to a pan and heat over very low heat. Add liver garlic and potatoes and lightly saute, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushroom have softened, 4- 6 minutes. Add to the bowl.
- Add to the bowl .. Parsley,/cilantro, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stir in eggs. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until heated through and golden on top, about 45 minutes.
Optional = add broth from turkey or chicken to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Remove from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until hot and golden, 50 minutes to 1 hour.